Monday, August 23, 2010

A New Kind of Breakfast


How have I never eaten avocado toast before? How have I never even seen this dish before two weeks ago? It is an absolute tragedy that avocado toast has not been in my life until now. It's so easy, so rich and decadent, yet so healthy and full of protein. I know it may seem melodramatic, it is just toast after all, but seriously, it is so good. This isn't a complicated recipe, its barely even a recipe for that matter. You toast a slice of bread, smear on half an avocado, top with fresh ground pepper and sea salt, drizzle on some good olive oil, and call it breakfast.

When the avocado softens and melts from the heat of the bread, almost mimicking butter, you will think you have gone to breakfast heaven. Make that a bacon-y breakfast heaven. The addition of paper thin layers of prosciutto take this toast to the next level. Plus, the fact that prosciutto is so thin and lean also means not feeling guilty about adding a bacon-like component to your meal (not that you need to feel guilty when it comes to bacon, EVER).

This may not be a fancy breakfast, but it is fast, filling, and satisfying. This is exactly what I needed to jump start this week. The past few months have been absolutely crazy as I have mentioned, and I am in the middle of gearing up for a bridal shower this weekend (making desserts for 60 people) and a wedding next weekend (making my very first wedding cake....wish me luck on that one). I haven't had much time to cook lately, so this meal fits perfectly into my hectic schedule.

It's hard to believe that something this simple can be so amazing, but if you like avocado, please please try this. It might just blow your mind.

Avocado Toast with Crisped Prosciutto
serves 1

1 large slice of thick cut rye bread (or any bread you fancy)
1 half avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed (save the other half for about 10 minutes after you finish eating this, cause you'll want to make another slice, to which I say: go for it)
4 thin slices of prosciutto
olive oil
salt and pepper
fresh lemon juice (optional)

In a small non-stick skillet, heat a small amount of olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the slices of prosciutto and cook until just crisped. Set aside.

Toast your bread, and with a fork smash the avocado onto the toast. Drizzle toast with a small amount of olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and lay slices of prosciutto on top.

I have a million ideas for riffs on this toast. Eggs, cheese, tomatoes, spices, fresh herbs, all would make great additions. Just be sure to keep the avocado front and center, it's called avocado toast for a reason.

13 comments:

brad wong said...

OMG! now i know what to do with that avocado in my fridge!!

Susan said...

Beautiful photographs, and a wonderful simple idea--thanks for the inspiration!

K said...

This is exactly how I eat my weekend brekkie! Add a side of soft scrambled eggs w/ goat cheese and I'm in heaven!!!

Mika said...

I recently discovered how good is avocado with just bread salt and pepper and now I can imagine how wonderful can be it with a toasted slice of bread...great idea...

Carrie said...

Gorgeous! I think I could eat that breakfast every day :)

Ciao Chow Linda said...

guess what I'm having for breakfast - now. I'm got all the right ingredients.

Bria said...

Thanks Everyone! I can't stop eating this, glad to know I am not alone in my obsession for it! As always, thanks to everyone for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Finally tried this yesterday and all I can say is *swoon*. Heavenly. My husband is also a fan. Thanks for the awesome idea.

sassymonkey said...

Oh yum! That looks delicious. I will need to try that soon.

The Urban Baker said...

there is nothing more satisfying that the combo of avocado and bacon or better yet, crispy prosciutto!

a family that eats together said...

That is going to be my breakfast tomorrow. I can't wait to wake up!

miasopapia said...

Try adding a little brie to it. Sometimes I even melt the brie a tiny bit in the microwave and lightly smear it on the toast before putting on the avocado. Not quite as healthful, but absolutely delicious.

Bria said...

miasopapia, that is a GREAT idea, I have got to get my hands on some brie before breakfast tomorrow morning....

Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails