Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It's Fall Somewhere


The weather is finally starting to cool here in Chicago, I actually had reason to put on a turtleneck last week, and that excites me more than it probably should. My boyfriend made me watch a horror movie which, even more than the changing leaves or the brisk wind, signals that fall has arrived.


This past Saturday, I actually had a few hours to myself. I have been working crazy long hours between the design firm and the restaurant, so to be able to spend some quality time in the kitchen this weekend, was just what I needed. Up early, with the window open letting the chilly air and the sound of the rain into the kitchen, I, with my coffee in hand, spent the day making a giant pot of chowder, and an amazing pasta dish. It was the epitome of a perfect autumn morning, and it makes me look forward to many more to come.Unfortunately the temperature climbed back up near 80 Sunday and Monday, forcing me to put my turtlenecks and sweaters back into the closet, at least for the time being. This won't, however, stop me from cooking all things fall, I can tell you that much.


Lets talk about this pasta. This may be the best pasta dish I have ever made. At the very least, it's up there competing with the lasagna I made last winter. Rich, hearty, deep, cozy flavors, pungent cheese, creamy sauce, it really has it all. This was the perfect dish to usher in fall.

Homemade Tagliatelle with Brown Butter & Butternut Squash
serves 4-6

1 batch homemade tagliatelle, or about 1 pound of any dried or fresh pasta
(click here for pasta recipe, instead of cutting into rectangular sheets, cut into 1 1/2-inch wide strips)
1 small-medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3-4 medium-large shallots, peeled and quartered
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon minced sage
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
salt and pepper to taste
crumbled Gorgonzola and chopped parsley to garnish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the cubed squash and shallots with the olive oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and spread evenly on a silpat lined baking sheet. Roast on the middle rack for 45 minutes to 1 hour, flipping the squash a few times, until browned and starting to caramelize.

Transfer 1/2 of the squash and all of the shallots to a food processor, (set the remaining squash cubes aside) along with the heavy cream and pulse until you have a smooth paste. If needed, add additional hot water and process until sauce has thinned enough to be able to coat the pasta. Set aside.


Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the fresh pasta for 4-5 minutes, or until just al dente.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter and cook for a few minutes until just starting to brown. Add the sage and fry for about a minute, stirring, until butter has turned a amber brown, and sage is fragrant. Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk in the squash puree to combine with the browned butter.

When the pasta is cooked, transfer directly from water to the skillet with the squash sauce and toss to combine. If sauce seems very thick or clumpy, add pasta water by the 1/4 cupfuls until sauce has evenly coated the pasta. Toss in the reserved cubed butternut squash, transfer to individual serving bowls and top with a generous amount of crumbled Gorgonzola cheese and fresh parsley.


Please make this sometime, but invite friends over to eat it with you. The reheated leftovers, while still very good, were much more dry and lacking that silky smooth texture that the sauce had when it was fresh from the skillet. Try it with a pumpkin beer for the full fall effect.

20 comments:

K said...

I cannot wait to make this!!! Looks amazingly delicious.

Anna said...

That looks so good. I haven't made tagliatelle before. I also haven't started cooking squash yet this season, so I'll have to give it a try.

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen said...

Tagliatelle is probably my favorite type of pasta. I love how wide it is. This pasta looks absolutely divine. I can't wait for fall weather. Unfortunately in LA we might have to wait a bit (as in January!). Love this recipe!

Anonymous said...

we made almost this exact recipe but in ravioli form. it was incredible, and i can only imagine yours was, too. instead of the Gorgonzola we had a bit of cinnamon in the brown butter. either way -- what a treat!

cheers,

*heather*

Joanne said...

This is so lovely. I'm all about fall food...I'm that girl who craves pumpkin in the middle of 90 degree August weather. So really, it's not too early for this fantastic recipe in my book!

Jessica said...

This is the epitomy of fall! and with all of my favorite flavors - tagliatelle is the best. Your pictures are really nice too.

Lauren said...

Gorgeous photos! I love butternut squash, and look forward to making this pasta dish sometime this fall.

Bria said...

Thank you all! I really hope you all find some time this fall to make this, it was just a big bowl of comfort. Thanks for stopping by my blog~

Erica said...

I am eating this now! It is sooo good I had to comment. I used fresh basil to garnish. Also I made the pasta from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and hand rolled it for thick rustic noodles. Great recipe!

Bria said...

Erica,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I love hearing from someone that actually made the dish and is enjoying it! Basil sounds like a great addition, thanks for stopping by my blog!

-Bria

Tracy said...

Beautifully dressed pasta. Beautifully.

Michele | Cooking At Home said...

What a beautiful dish! This will be perfect to make for dinner with friends. Thanks for sharing.

TheSaltyGirl said...

this is exactly what i was looking for! except i'm going to use a pumpkin in place of the other squash. and i might switch from gorgonzola to chevre. i'm so excited!

Todd said...

I made this and it was the best meal I've had in months!

Bria said...

Thanks Everyone!

Adrenna and Michele, please do let me know how it turns out if you do make it! Thanks!!

Todd, thanks, so glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

I made this last night (with pasta I made from scratch for the first time) and it was absolutely amazing. To die for. The pasta just melted right in your mouth and the butternut squash sauce with the Gorgonzola and parsley provided an amazing flavor combination. I didn't have fresh sage so I omitted it but this honestly was one of the best pasta dishes I've ever had! Great recipe!

Bria said...

Avocado-

I am so glad you liked it! I love it when people make things and then actually come back here to tell me how they turned out. Cheers!

-Bria

Greg said...

Wow, this is simply gorgeous, saw it on another blog and had to come over.

Krisztina K said...

I made this last night, it was amazing! So much flavor!!!

Holly said...

Delicious! I will definitely be making this one again.
I used goats cheese instead of the gorgonzola and I also added some toasted walnuts. Thanks for a super easy and tasty recipe!

Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails